Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Uniform
Alternate Name Band Uniform Hat
Date ca. 1945-1965
Description Man's shako uniform hat. Tall rounded crown of navy blue plush fabric. Front has black vinyl visor with silver metallic plastic trim. Decorated with two braids of white cord across front near top of crown; cord is attached to hat on each side with a silver metal button with raised lyre; tassel hangs below each button. Adjustable black vinyl chin strap with metal buckle; strap is attached on each side with a silver metal button with a 5-point star. White plastic lining inside crown. Rust colored vinyl headband with "OSTWALD" pierced into the vinyl. Printed and handwritten label on headband: "UNIFORMS BY Ostwald INC. / OSTWALD BUILDING STATEN ISLAND 1. N.Y. / ORDER NO. 6968 4 / WEARER 6." Printed care instructions on inside of visor. Hat is in original cardboard box.
(Keywords: Accessory, Music, Bands, Twentieth Century, New York)
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History In 1945, Uniforms by Ostwald, Inc., moved its manufacturing operations from Manhattan to a modern plant on Richmond Terrace in New Brighton, Staten Island. One of the foremost operations of its kind in the country, the Ostwald factory employed about 300 people and produced 1,500 musical uniforms each week during the 1950s and 1960s. The firm's reputation and clientele were nationwide in scope; among its prominent customers was the West Point band. Changing economic and social circumstances led to a major decline in the firm's business in the 1970s. Uniforms by Ostwald, Inc. closed completely shortly after 1980.
Earliest Date 1945
Latest Date 1965
Maker Uniforms by Ostwald, Inc.
Subjects Clothing & dress
Musicians
Band uniforms
Lexicon Sub-category Clothing -- Outerwear
Associated People Ostwald, Adolph
Catalog Number 84.061
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.