Polychrome candy tin, "JAW TEASERS / BUBBLE GUM 1 C"
(Keywords: Twentieth Century, New York)
|Acquisition||Gift of Erika Sehlmeyer Harper|
|Ownership and History||
This candy tin was used at Sehlmeyer's General Store on Arthur Kill Road in Rossville, Staten Island, in the 1940s. The store was owned by brothers Adolf, August, and Henry Sehlmeyer, who came to the U.S. from Germany in the early 1900s. The store sold groceries, deli items, patent medicine, household goods, feed, nails and hardware, kerosene, vegetable seeds, and paint. Adolf also made rounds of his customers' homes to receive daily orders, delivering them in his Model T truck. The store closed in 1957.
The manufacturer, Gum Products, Inc., was founded in 1940 in East Boston, Massachusetts by Wellington M. Cramer, Jr., a graduate of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Merchandising T&E|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2012.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|