Rectangular red clay brick; impressed in top: "B. KREISCHER / N.Y. No. 1." Rectangular shape; overall size 9 x 4.375 x 2.5 inches.
|Ownership and History||
Balthazar Kreischer (1813-1886) emigrated from Germany to Manhattan shortly after the great New York fire of 1835. He established a firebrick factory in lower Manhattan to assist with the rebuilding of the city. In 1855 he opened a second factory on Staten Island, which had reliable clay sources. The Staten Island factory expanded after the Manhattan works closed in 1876.
The village that grew around the Staten Island plant, known as Kreischerville, was later renamed Charleston. Kreischer bricks were produced there until the 1930s, and were used throughout the New York metropolitan area.
|Maker||Kreischer (B. Kreischer & Sons)|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Building Component|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2012.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|