|Date||November 27, 1852|
|Title||View of the New York Bay and Harbor, From the Telegraph Station|
|Description||Engraving, "VIEW OF THE NEW YORK BAY AND HARBOR, FROM THE TELEGRAPH STATION."; clipped from Gleason's Pictorial, Nov. 27, 1852, p. 337. Landscape scene with military structures at left and center, overlooking the Narrows with ships, with the Brooklyn shore on the right. Rocks and plants appear in the foreground, with picnickers on a lawn in the middle distance and two tall poles behind them. The inscriptions "Wade del." and "LESLIE. SC." are incorporated in the lower edge of the picture. Print is glued to cardboard, and the text that was published with the scene is glued to the reverse, with the heading, "NEW YORK BAY AND HARBOR."|
|Ownership and History||
This view was drawn by William Wade who was active in New York City from 1844 to 1852. It is similar to an 1838 view by William H. Bartlett. This version of the scene shows two telegraph poles on the hill at Fort Tompkins above the waterfront structures of Fort Richmond, which was later renamed Battery Weed. The engraver, Frank Leslie (1821-1880), later became the publisher of Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper.
According to the text of the article which accompanied this illustration, "The view presented by our artist, from this high promontory, is truly beautiful; here opens from the sea, or lower bay, a fairy scene unsurpassed in the world, not excepting the Bay of Naples. All tourists agree on this point."
Forts & fortifications
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, October 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|