|Date||June 10, 1848|
|Title||The Steam Boat Antelope|
|Description||Printed broadside, black ink on paper, glued to a cardboard mat. Printed inscription: "FOR NEW YORK. / DAILY, SUNDAYS EXCEPTED, AT 6 1/4 O'CLOCK, A.M. / THE STEAM BOAT / ANTELOPE, / CAPT. S. VAN WICKLE / Having been overhauled and furnished with a new / boiler, will on and after Wednesday, June 14th, leave / New Brunswick at 1/4-past 6 o'clock A.M. / Returning, the Antelope will leave / New York at a quarter past 3 o'clock. P.M. / FROM FOOT OF ROBINSON ST. / NEXT / ABOVE / BARCLAY. / The Antelope will stop both ways at / MARTIN'S DOCK, TOTTEN'S DOCK, / FRENCH'S LANDING, WOODBRIDGE, / PERTH AMBOY, ROSSVILLE. / FARE, 12 1-2 Cents. / Freight of all descriptions taken on board at the Owner's Risk. / A commodious Store House is provided at New Brunswick, for the reception of Merchandize, / Marketing, &c. Produce, and all articles of Freight consigned to New York, will receive / prompt and careful attention. / The Omnibus will convey Passengers to the Boat. Names may be registered at either of / the Hotels. / The Hours of Departure are arranged to afford additional facilities to Travellers. The Pro- / prietors confidently solicit a share of Public Patronage. / Breakfast provided on board for 25 cents. / New Brunswick, June 18, 1848. / PRINTED AT THE 'TIMES' OFFICE, NO. 26 CHURCH STREET, NEW [YORK]"|
|Ownership and History||
According to this advertisement, the steam ferry Antelope ran between New Brunswick, New Jersey and New York City, making stops along the way in New Jersey and on Staten Island (at Totten's Landing and Rossville), and the fare was twelve and a half cents. The Manhattan terminus was located at the foot of Robinson Street, which was later known as Park Place before becoming part of the World Trade Center site.
The captain was most likely Simon Van Wickle (1820-1888), a New Brunswick resident.
|Maker||Times Office, Church Street, New York City, NY|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Advertising Medium|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, July 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|