|Object Name||Table, Library|
Library table, Renaissance Revival style. Rectangular top with curved short sides and beveled edges. Veneered panel, with turned decorative drops at corners of apron. Pedestal support with finials. All four legs are on casters. The stretcher has a central urn, incised design and carved rosettes. The black leather or faux leather top is not original, but the table could have had a leather top originally, or possibly green baize. Made in the United States. Measures 27 inches high x 47 inches wide by 27 inches deep.
|Acquisition||Gift of Mildred and Maude Walker|
|Ownership and History||
This was an expensive piece of furniture with good quality carvings. The shape of the top was standard for library tables. This table came from "Tantallon," the home of Mr. and Mrs. Erastus Wiman of St. Marks Place in St. George, Staten Island.
Erastus Wiman (1834-1904) was a developer, promoter, and businessman. His accomplishments included initiating central electric power, telegraph, and telephone service on Staten Island; constructing the first railroad bridge connecting Staten Island to New Jersey; operating and expanding local railroad and ferry service; and building a new, centralized ferry and rail terminal at St. George. Wiman founded the Staten Island Amusement Company, constructed a massive entertainment casino along the St. George waterfront, and a huge stadium at "Erastina" near Elm Park, where he brought Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, sports events, concerts and spectacular dramatic productions.
This table was part of a collection of furniture and other Wiman family items donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1965 by sisters Maude and Mildred Walker, granddaughters of Erastus Wiman.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, October 2013.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|