|Object Name||Card, Trade|
|Title||[Trade card, C.M. Pine & Son]|
Trade card. Tinted lithograph on paper. Illustration of 3 boys dressed in military uniforms; printed in blue, black, and gold. Printed inscription on the reverse: "THE OLDEST ESTABLISHED HOUSE IN THE COUNTY! / C.M. Pine & Son / HAVE 200 TONS OF / CHOICE TIMOTHY HAY / TO SELL AT $1.00 PER 100, / NO. 1 RYE STRAW at 85c. / THEY HAVE PURCHASED THE / Potato Crop of Saratoga County, (or part of it,) / Comprising the Best Varieties -- BURBANKS, EARLY HEBRON, ROSE, SNOW-FLAKE, &C. / ALSO, GENERAL DEALERS IN / Groceries, Dry Goods, Notions, &c / WEST NEW BRIGHTON, / STATEN ISLAND."
(Keywords: New York)
|Ownership and History||
This is a "stock card" (a generic trade card to which the advertiser added his specific information).
Charles M. Pine (born ca. 1812) established his grocery store in 1848. A census listing indicates he had retired by 1870, when he was 58 years old. His son Charles Theodore Pine followed him into the business, which was located on Richmond Terrace in West New Brighton, Staten Island.
Dry goods stores
|Lexicon Sub-category||Advertising Medium|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2015.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|