|Title||For Sale, To Close A Concern|
Printed broadside, black ink on paper. Inscription: "FOR SALE, / TO CLOSE A CONCERN. / That large and commodious Public House Estab- / lishment, in the Village of / RICHMOND, / STATEN-ISLAND, / Known by the name of the / COUNTY HALL, / Will be offered for sale at Public Auction on / SATURDAY, the 20th day of MARCH next at / 2 o'clock P.M. on the Premises. / The premises consist of the House, / Barns and Sheds, with about half an / acre of Ground--all in good order--and / was built expressly for, and has always / been kept as a / TAVERN & BOARDING HOUSE, / And an excellent stand for Business. / The terms will be liberal, and made / known on the day of sale. Should the / day prove very stormy, the sale will be / on the Monday following. / Title good and indisputable. / WALTER BETTS, Sec'ty. / G.F. Nesbitt, Stationer and Printer, corner of Wall and Water streets." Handwritten inscription at lower left: "Feby 1841." Broadside is glued to a cardboard mount which has a handwritten inscription: "SALE / Of the Richmond County Hall / March 20, 1841 / Built 1822, Torn down 1891. Stood on the Southeast / Corner of the Arthur Kill & Richmond Roads. Noted / AS an Hotel and as a Political Headquarters."
(Keywords: New York, HRT)
|Acquisition||Gift of Charles Gilbert Hine|
|Ownership and History||
Richmond County Hall was a hotel and tavern located in Richmond, Staten Island. It was in operation from 1829 to 1879, and was a popular meeting place for political and social gatherings. For many years it was owned and operated by David R. Ryers and his wife Susan. Susan's obituary in 1901 stated "The place in the old times was the resort of many of the prominent people of the County, and the house was notable for its fine suppers and for the hospitable entertainment of the guests..."
The building was demolished in 1891. A parish hall for nearby St. Andrew's Church later occupied the site, but that too was eventually razed. Its location at the corner of Richmond Road and Arthur Kill Road is now part of Historic Richmond Town.
|Maker||George F. Nesbitt & Co.|
Real estate business
|Lexicon Sub-category||Advertising Medium|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, July 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|