Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Figurine
Date 1900-1930
Description Glazed terra cotta figure, possibly representing the "Dutch Boy" trademark paint logo. The standing male figure wears a hat and has his hands in his pants pockets. Overall pale green glaze. Figure was modeled by hand (not made in a mold). Height is 7.250 inches.
Acquisition From Mr. Robert Anderson
Ownership and History This figure was found sometime before 1976 at the abandoned site of the Atlantic Terra Cotta Company Plant 1, in Tottenville, Staten Island.

The figure could represent the "Dutch Boy" character who was the namesake of a popular nationally-known brand of paint. Dutch Boy was created by the National Lead Company, which acquired John Jewett and Sons white lead works in Port Richmond, Staten Island before 1900. (Dutch Boy paint still exists in 2013, headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio.)

For over three decades, the Atlantic Terra Cotta Works designed and manufactured architectural fabric and ornament, sculpture, and garden pottery that was installed and used in almost every major American city as well as abroad. Founded in 1897, the company opened its factory in Tottenville in 1898 and expanded rapidly. By 1906, the Tottenville plant was employing 450 to 500 men and was producing the fabric and ornament for such prestigious projects as the first New York City subway stations, the upper stories of the Flatiron Building, and the Plaza Hotel.
Earliest Date 1900
Latest Date 1930
Maker Atlantic Terra Cotta Co., Tottenville, Staten Island
Material Ceramic
Subjects Logos
Lexicon Sub-category Art
Catalog Number 76.002.0001
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, September 2013.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.