|Alternate Name||Military Hat|
Man's military uniform hat. Made of black beaver (faded to brown). Tricorn shape with rounded crown, with black and brown ribbon hatband. Wide brim is folded on all 3 sides and stitched to crown. Brim edges are bound. Cardboard foundation in brim and crown. Headband is made of treated canvas. Crown has remnants of red, white and blue silk lining with drawstring. Part of a complete uniform with waistcoat C01.0409, breeches C01.0410, and coat C01.0411.
(Keywords: Fashion, United States, American Revolution, Revolutionary War Centennial, Commemorative)
|Acquisition||Gift of Friendship Council, Junior Order of United American Mechanics|
|Ownership and History||
Inscriptions indicate that this uniform belonged to W.H. Gorseline of Newburgh, New York. Newburgh business directories from 1856 to 1859 list a William H. Gorseline as a "daguerreian," offering daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, and photographs.
The original use of this uniform is not known. One possibility is that it is a militia uniform of the mid-19th century, designed to resemble a Continental uniform of the Revolutionary War era. It is believed that the 19th Regiment New York State Militia, which had connections to Newburgh, wore uniforms of this type. Another possibility is that it was made for a Revolutionary War veteran, mixing styles of the late 18th century with those of later years. Finally, this could be a Centennial uniform, assembled for a parade or commemorative occasion in 1876 or slightly earlier.
The uniform was presented to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1940 by the Friendship Council, Junior Order of United American Mechanics, Port Richmond, Staten Island.
Clothing & dress
|Lexicon Sub-category||Clothing -- Outerwear|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|