|Description||Steel drum, painted white with large stylized S logo and orange and black printing: "Sun Chemical Corporation / Pigments Division." Cover is secured with a steel locking ring which is marked "OPEN 15 1/2 - 17 GREIF [GBC (in circle)] BROS. [KW (in circle)]".|
|Acquisition||Gift of Sun Chemical Co.|
|Ownership and History||
This barrel was designed to hold products of the Sun Chemical Corporation's factory on Tompkins Avenue in Rosebank, Staten Island. The Rosebank plant closed in January 2008 after a century of operations as the company evolved to compete in the global marketplace.
Sun Chemical had been formed by mergers of predecessor companies including Staten Island's G. Siegle pigment factory, which merged with the Ansbacher Corporation of Brooklyn in 1929. As of 2015, Sun Chemical is a member of the Tokyo-based DIC group; it has a headquarters in Parsippany, New Jersey and locations in 56 countries around the world.
The barrel itself was made by the Virginia Barrel Co. of Mariners Harbor. That business was a division of Greif Bros. Cooperage Corp., which began in Cleveland, Ohio as a manufacturer of wooden barrels and kegs.
|Maker||Greif Bros.Corp. / Virginia Barrel Co.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Merchandising T&E|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, February 2015.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|