Small brass bell with wooden handle. Bell has flared shape with rounded shoulder and an incised horizontal line above the rim; swinging clapper inside. Handle is turned wood with a rounded end. Overall height 3.5 inches.
|Acquisition||Gift of Helen Cole Barton|
|Ownership and History||
This bell is identified in Staten Island Historical Society records as a table bell or hand bell made from the old church bell of St. Andrew's Church at Richmond, which was lost in a building fire of 1867.
The hand bell was given to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1963 by Mrs. Helen (Cole) Barton. Helen married Samuel Edwards Barton on June 15, 1907. Samuel had grown up in the Edwards-Barton House which still stands at Historic Richmond Town, and the Bartons were members of St. Andrew's Church.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Sound Communication T&E|
Barton, Helen Cole (Mrs. Samuel E.)
Barton, Samuel E.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, July 2013.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|