Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Certificate
Date 1863
Description Certificate printed and handwritten on parchment-like paper. Documents the appointment of Andrew N.(?) McDonald, Major of the 106th(?) Regiment of Infantry, New-York State Volunteers. Signed and dated on the "Fourteenth day of August," 1863, by Governor Horatio Seymour and Adjutant General John T. Sprague. Ink used for hand-written portions is faded and not clearly legible. Certificate measures 11.75 inches high x 15.75 inches wide.
(Keyword: United States)
Ownership and History While the ink inscriptions are faint, this certificate seems to record the appointment of Andrew N. McDonald to the 106th Regiment of the New York Volunteers, which fought in the Civil War as part of Truex's Brigade. Known as the St. Lawrence County Regiment, the 106th was organized at Ogdensberg in northern New York State.

Evidence suggests that Major McDonald may have been wounded in the Battle of Cold Harbor and that he was later promoted to Colonel and Commander of the 106th Regiment.

On April 10, 1865, Col. McDonald offered the following account of the days leading up to General Lee's surrender at Appomatox:

"Leaving the strong lines of works, which we threw up before the city of Petersburg on the night of the 2d, we commenced on the morning of the 3d a series of rapid and fatiguing marches, taking a westerly direction and following closely on the heels of the demoralized and retreating rebels. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday wore away with no incidents of special importance and no battles. Thursday, about 4 p. m., we came suddenly upon the enemy, when, the brigade breaking into a column of regiments, we commenced one of the finest and most successful charges in which it was ever our lot to participate. My regiment was the third line, and gallantly and steadily did it move forward, forgetting all the pains of blistered feet and cramped and stiffened limbs in the excitement of the coming contest. The enemy opened a brisk and heavy fire; still we pressed on, driving them rapidly back for nearly a mile and a half. Here the enemy, taking advantage of a strong position on the opposite side of Sailor's Creek, made a desperate stand to prevent the capture of their trains. My regiment was now placed in the first line of battle, and, moving rapidly forward, we commenced crossing the creek under a galling musketry fire from the enemy. The ground on both sides of the creek was very soft and marshy, the men frequently sinking to their hips in its miry depths. Here we had 11 men wounded, but none killed. Moving rapidly around to the right after crossing, we were soon on the enemy's left flank, when we were stopped in our gallant advance by the surrender of the enemy.
"The conduct of both the officers and men of this regiment was highly meritorious. Early Friday morning we again resumed the pursuit, marching through the village of Farmville, where we camped for the night. Saturday the pursuit was kept up, and Sunday till about 2 p.m., when we halted near Clover Hill, and here received the glorious intelligence that Lee had surrendered his whole army. This regiment still remains encamped near Clover Hill."
[Reference: The War of the Rebellion. By United States. War Dept, Robert Nicholson Scott et. al., 1894. Pages 987-988. Accessed 7/29/2010 at]

Earliest Date 1863
Latest Date 1863
Subjects Military personnel
Civil wars
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number X93.2271
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2011.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.