|Object Name||Helmet, Fireman's|
|Alternate Name||Fireman's Helmet|
White leather fireman's helmet. Rounded ribbed crown (with eight combs); curved brim; painted leather frontpiece with an illustration of firefighting vehicle and inscription: "Chief Engineer / W.H.J."; metal frontpiece holder is in the shape of an eagle's head.
(Keywords: Firefighter, Occupational Clothing, NSFD, New York)
|Acquisition||Gift of the Veteran Fireman's Association|
|Ownership and History||
This helmet belonged to William H. Janes (1849-1896), Chief Engineer of the North Shore Fire Department and a member of the Wyandotte Hook and Ladder Company. He lived on Broadway in West New Brighton with his wife and two children. Apprenticed as a carriage maker, Janes later worked as a block cutter and in the oil business.
Chief Janes was killed in the line of duty on May 11, 1896, and was interred at Fountain Cemetery after a funeral service at the Church of the Ascension. Among the pallbearers was William Fink, who presented the helmet to the Staten Island Historical Society many years later. On May 30, 1896, memorial services in the Prohibition Park Auditorium were attended by over 5,000 people.
Clothing & dress
|Lexicon Sub-category||Clothing -- Headwear|
Janes, William H.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2011.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|