|Artist||Kost, Frederick W.|
|Title||[Vanderbilt Farm, New Dorp Lane]|
Oil on canvas, landscape with farm scene, signed at lower right: "KOST". View of the Vanderbilt Farm, New Dorp Lane, with many haystacks in the field and two hay barracks at right. A farmhouse appears near a grove of tall trees in the center distance with coloring suggesting an autumn harvest. The painting measures 12 inches high x 18 inches wide.
(Keywords: New York)
|Ownership and History||
This painting depicts the farm operated by William H. Vanderbilt and his son George W. Vanderbilt. The field pictured here was on the southwest side of New Dorp Lane. Their large house on the other side of New Dorp Lane does not appear in this view. (The small white farmhouse that appears in this painting was the home of the farm's previous owners, the Jacobsen family.)
Hay barracks, also called hayricks, were once a common sight on Staten Island. In this scene, the hayrick at far right is filled and covered. A second is partially filled and numerous piles of hay remain to be gathered and covered to protect them from the weather.
The painting was acquired by the Staten Island Historical Society in 1951 from A. Kaufmann, who was a cousin of artist Frederick W. Kost (1861-1923).
In 1989, preliminary conservation was conducted; this canvas was removed from its frame (which is now stored separately) and from the stretcher which held a second painted canvas underneath. A test cleaning patch was made, which appears in the image as a brighter patch at the right edge of the painting. Additional treatment is needed.
See the book ”Staten Island Scenery: Paintings, Prints, Drawings and Photographs, 1679-1900” by Barnett Shepherd (page 172) for more information.
Vanderbilt, George W.
Vanderbilt, William H.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Staten Island Foundation, January 2014.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|