|Object Name||Card, Trade|
Trade card. Lithograph on paper. Black and white bust portrait of a woman, with the caption "LUCCA." Inscription printed below: "TOMPKINS' STORES / Have constantly in stock a full variety of / MENS' FURNISHING GOODS, / West Brighton & Stapleton. / STATEN ISLAND." Printed on reverse: "CONSTANTLY ON HAND / A FULL ASSORTMENT OF / Underwear, Shirts, Collars, Cuffs / Fancy Socks, Neck Ties, Bows, / Scarfs. Scarf Pins, White Ties / Silk Handkerchiefs, &c. &c. / AT / TOMPKINS' / STORES, / West Brighton & Stapleton / STATEN ISLAND."
(Keywords: Department Store, West New Brighton, New York)
|Acquisition||From Jacques Noel Jacobsen|
|Ownership and History||
The "Lucca" who appears on this card is likely Pauline Lucca (1841-1908), an acclaimed opera soprano.
The Tompkins Store was established on Richmond Terrace in West New Brighton in 1877 by Frank W. Tompkins, who was age 17 at the time. The store was listed in the Staten Island directory of 1882 as "Frank W. Tompkins, men's, youth's, and children's clothing and gentlemen's furnishing goods of latest design and styles. No old stock."
In 1896 Mr. Tompkins opened the two-story Tompkins Department Store. He retired in 1921, but he sons continued the business. In 1925 they moved the store to a new location on Castleton Avenue.
Stores & shops
Clothing & dress
|Lexicon Sub-category||Advertising Medium|
Tompkins, Frank W.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, December 2012.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.