Milk bottle, clear glass, cylindrical with tapering neck; one pint size. Words and graphics in red, on front: "STORE" with illustration of a cow in a field; on back: "STORE" and "Weissglass / GOLD / SEAL" across a circular seal shape. Embossed lettering near base: " REGISTERED / SEALED 11 / MTC / ONE PINT LIQUID / 3" and underneath base: "E47".
(Keywords: Twentieth Century, New York)
|Ownership and History||
The embossed mark, "MTC," with the T in a larger size, is believed to be the mark of the Thatcher Manufacturing Company, a major U.S. manufacturer of glass milk bottles. The company reportedly used the code "SEALED 11" to indicate bottles made for certain states including New York and New Jersey. The code "E47" may indicate it was in Elmira, New York in 1947.
The Weissglass Gold Seal Dairy Corpration operated a large milk processing and bottling plant on Forest Avenue in Mariners Harbor, Staten Island from 1933 until 1965.
|Maker||Thatcher Manufacturing Company|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Merchandising T&E|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, November 2014.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|