|Object Name||Mug, Shaving|
|Alternate Name||Shaving Mug|
Porcelain occupational shaving mug decorated with a scene of a horse-drawn wagon with inscription "RUBSAM & HORRMAN / BOTTLED / LAGER BEER." Inscribed above scene in gold lettering: "WILLIAM FINK." Mug is cylindrical with a shaped base, rolled rim, and loop handle. Impressed mark on underside: "Germany." Height is 3.750 inches; diameter of base is 3.5 inches. [Note: the name Horrmann is spelled incorrectly as "Horrman" in the inscription]
(Keyword: European, New York City)
|Acquisition||Gift of William Fink|
|Ownership and History||
William Fink was born April 19, 1872 in West New Brighton, Staten Island. He managed a hotel on Castleton Avenue, and was also a liquor retailer and a bottler.
William Fink served as an Alderman and as Chief of Staten Island's Bureau of Inspection. He was active for many years with several of Staten Island's volunteer fire companies, and in 1905 he was elected Chief Engineer of the North Shore Fire Department.
Rubsam and Horrmann (the name inscribed on the side of the wagon), established in 1870, was one of Staten Island's largest breweries in the late 19th century and well into the 20th century. An 1893 advertisement noted that William Fink was a bottler of R&H Extra Lager Beer.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Toilet Article|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, May 2014.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|