|Title||Washington Greys 8th Regt. N.Y.S.T.|
Tinted lithograph with additional hand coloring. Wide view of an open area with numerous soldiers in gray uniforms. Most are marching in columns; some stand at attention around several cannons on green carts. A small group of women and children are at left. At right are rows of tents. There are various buildings in the middle distance. A flagpole with an American flag is in the center. Signed in the image, bottom center: "Otto Botticher 1859". Printed inscription below the image: "Entered according to Act of Congress in the Year 1859, by Otto Botticher, in the Clerk's Office of the District Court for the Southern District of N.Y. / Colonel GEORGE LYONS Commandant / Washington Greys 8th Regt. N.Y.S.T. / On special duty at Camp Washington Quarantine St. I. Sept. 11th to 28th 1858. by Order of the Commander in Chief, Governor JOHN A. KING. / Every approved Copy will bear the Fac-simile & Stamp of the Author / Published by GOUPIL & CO. (M. Knoedler Successor) 366 & 772 Broadway, N.Y." In the center of the inscription is an eagle in front of a coat of arms and 6 crossed flags; the eagle holds a banner with inscription "PARATUS ET FIDELIS".
(Keywords: New York)
|Ownership and History||
The Washington Greys were a state militia. They were called to Staten Island by the Governor of New York to protect the state-owned Quarantine site following the destruction of buildings by an enraged group of local residents. The area is now occupied by the Staten Island Ferry terminal, in the neighborhood called St. George.
Otto Botticher (1811-1885) was a lithographer noted for his military subjects. He was probably born in Prussia, and immigrated to New York about 1850.
See the book "Staten Island Scenery: Paintings, Prints, Drawings and Photographs, 1679-1900" by Barnett Shepherd for more information.
This print was acquired from the collection of Elliott Burgher (1897-1978) of Staten Island.
|Maker||Goupil & Co.|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Staten Island Foundation, December 2013.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|