Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Crock
Date 1872-1877
Description Salt-glazed stoneware crock. Cylindrical with an ogee-profile rim and two lug handles. Decoration of a painted cobalt blue flower. Impressed mark with blue fill on front: "J.M. PRUDEN. / 185 DUANE - ST - N.Y. / 2". Dark brown slip interior. Made by John Mills Pruden (active ca. 1835-1865 and 1872-1877), Elizabeth, New Jersey; the Duane Street address is for the warehouse in New York City from which his wares were sold. Height is 8.875 inches; diameter is 10.250 inches.
(Keywords: New York City)
Acquisition Gift of the Caruso family
Ownership and History This crock descended in the Cole family of Great Kills, Staten Island.

Keen Pruden took over operation of a redware factory in Elizabeth, New Jersey, in 1819, and around 1832 he began to manufacture stoneware. He retired in 1835, and his son, John Mills Pruden, took over the business and continued until 1877. The maker’s mark that includes the location 185 Duane Street denotes goods made after he established a distribution center in Manhattan. From 1865 to 1871, he had a partnership with Manhattan merchant Augustus Olcott; pieces manufactured during that period were marked “PRUDEN & OLCOTT.”
Earliest Date 1872
Latest Date 1877
Maker Pruden (potteries) (John Mills Pruden)
Material Ceramic
Subjects Food
Lexicon Sub-category Food Processing T&E
Catalog Number F07.0287--dup000
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, May 2014.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.