|Title||Works of the N.Y. Dying and Printing Est. on Staten Island|
Advertising handbill with an engraved view on front and descriptive text on reverse. Front has an engraved view of a factory with multiple buildings, including 3 tall smokestacks with billowing smoke. Several men are on the grounds engaged in various activities including pushing a wheelbarrow and carrying a barrel; at right is a horse-drawn wagon filled with crates. Printed caption below the image: "WORKS OF THE N.Y. DYING AND PRINTING EST. ON STATEN ISLAND. / OFFICE, 45 JOHN-STREET, N.Y." Printed inscription in the lower left corner of the image: "LOSSING-BARRITT, N.Y." Reverse side has printed inscription within a box: "THE NEW-YORK / DYING AND PRINTING ESTABLISHMENT, / STATEN ISLAND. / OFFICE FOR THE RECEPTION AND DELIVERY OF GOODS, / 45 JOHN-STREET, New-York. / Broadcloths, Cassimeres, Merinos, Silks, Satins, / Gauzes, Crapes, Bareges, Velvets, Ribbons, Hosiery, / Gloves, / SILK AND WORSTED DAMASK AND MOREEN CURTAINS, / Ladies' and Gentlemen's Garments, Straw Bon- / nets, Linens, Cottons, &c., dyed and finished in the / best manner; SILKS AND SILK DRESSES WATERED. / CHINTZ, LACE AND MUSLIN CURTAINS, / SHAWLS, TABLE COVERS, CARPETS, RUGS, &C. / Cleansed and Re-finished. / Goods restored, when possible, to original state. / Orders carefully attended to and promptly executed. / Goods delivered on presentation of this Ticket, or / kept, subject to the claim of the owner, twelve months / and no longer." Printed vertically along the sides of the box: "ESTABLISHED IN 1819! / ESTABLISHED IN 1819!" In small print below the box: "Oliver & Brother, Printers, 32 Beekman-St. N.Y."
(Keywords: New York)
|Ownership and History||
The business advertised on this handbill went by various names over the years. In the mid-nineteenth century, it was known as the N.Y. Dying and Printing Establishment (sometimes spelled New-York Dyeing and Printing Establishment).
The company was formed by 1820 and established a factory on Staten Island near the Kill van Kull. Fabrics and garments were dyed and cleaned. By 1860, the company had 200 employees. The neighborhood surrounding the dyeworks was then called Factoryville and later became known as West New Brighton. The former factory site is near the current intersection of Broadway and Richmond Terrace.
The illustration on the handbill was made by the firm of Benson J. Lossing and William Barritt, wood engravers active in New York City from 1847 to 1869. See the book "Staten Island Scenery: Paintings, Prints, Drawings and Photographs, 1679-1900” by Barnett Shepherd for more information.
|Maker||Oliver & Brother, Printers|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2015.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|