Woman's calf-length coat. Made of ecru silk with panels of machine-made darned net over silk inserts. Coat is unlined. Neckline has black ribbon and red paisley cotton trim; short wide sleeves are faced at opening with red paisley cotton. Front opening with hook and eye at neckline, and two rows of decorative paisley fabric-covered buttons with black ribbon trim. Back has center panel of machine-made darned net with deep pleats; same net decoration over shoulder is accented with long tassels of knotted cotton cord. Cloth label inside neckline: "Stern Brothers / Paris New York." The Stern brothers opened their first dry goods store in Manhattan in 1867. By 1910 Stern's was the largest department store in the city; from 1911 to 1969 it occupied an elegant building at 42nd Street and 5th Avenue.
(Keywords: Fashion, Early Twentieth Century)
|Ownership and History|
|Subjects||Clothing & dress|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Clothing -- Outerwear|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|