|Title||The Great Mets|
|Description||Baseball scorecard, printed on paper. Front cover has color lithograph in blue, yellow, orange, and green; central portrait of a man with a mustache, captioned "W.H. HOLBORT." [sic -- name is usually spelled Holbert]. Inscriptions printed top and bottom: "THE GREAT METS / SAINT GEORGE PLAY GROUNDS / STATEN ISLAND / 20 MINUTES FROM THE BATTERY." Very small printed inscription at bottom right: "THE AMERICAN GRAPHIC CO., N.Y." Inside has a scorecard for "PITTSBURG" and "METROPOLITAN" that has been filled in with pencil notations. Printed inscriptions inside: "ST. GEORGE GROUNDS, STATEN ISLAND. / OFFICIAL SCORE CARD. / The public is respectfully cautioned against purchasing any other Score Cards that may be offered, as they are invariably incorrect. / GEO. F. WILLIAMS, General Manager / ... / DEMOCRAT STEAM JOB PRINT, TOMPKINSVILLE." The bottom of the page contains a ferry schedule and a list of Mets home games. The back cover has printed advertisements for Rubsam & Horrmann Lager Beer, and for Tredwell, Slote & Co. Clothing and Furnishing Goods.|
|Acquisition||Gift of Albert T. Zorn|
|Ownership and History||
The New York Metropolitans played on Staten Island in 1886 and 1887 under the ownership of local entrepreneur Erastus Wiman. Wiman then sold the team to the Brooklyn Dodgers, who dismantled the Mets and took on their best players. The name Mets was later resurrected for a new team in the 1960s.
On the cover of the scorecard is a portrait of William Henry (Bill) Holbert, who played for the Metropolitans from 1883 to 1887. The inside of the card shows preprinted lineups for a game against "Pittsburg," the team later known as the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Metropolitan players listed are Nelson, Roseman, Orr, Behel, Brady, Hankinson, Holbert, Forster, and Mays. Notations indicate that the New York team won the game with a score of seven to six.
|Maker||American Graphic Co.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Holbert, William Henry (Bill)
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, August 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|