Tea caddy, Chinese export porcelain. Body is ovoid and has a foot that is ornamented with applied porcelain scrolls. Lid is domed and has a knob finial. Polychrome painted decoration consists of two oval panels with Chinese figures in landscapes, separated by two narrow landscape vignettes within red outlines. Lid has similar landscape vignettes. Height measures 5 inches, including lid.
(Keywords: Asian, American Revolution, HRT)
|Ownership and History||
This small but nicely decorated porcelain container would have been considered a luxury item at the time it was made, and its historical value has grown due to its connection with early residents of Historic Richmond Town. It was reportedly a gift from a British military officer to a resident of Rezeau house, which is now known as the Voorlezer's House.
A typed index card found inside the vessel tells the story of its provenance: "TEA CADDY / Brought to Staten Island in 1776 from Boston by a British officer who was quartered in the Rezeau home, Richmond. He presented it to Susanna Rezeau. It remained in the family until the death of Miss Wheatly, a grand-daughter of Susanna. It was purchased by Mrs. Crowell M. Conner, who knew its history, and remained in her possession up to the time of her death in May, 1916."
|Lexicon Sub-category||Food Processing T&E|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, November 2014.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|