|Object Name||Pitcher, Cream|
Creamer. Octagonal paneled bulbous form with high arching lip and double scroll handle. White earthenware with blue transfer-printed diaper border on rim, base, and interior rim; sides have a blue transfer-printed pattern of a bird on a stump in a landscape with fence and tree. Printed mark on underside: "ORNITHOLOGY / JM & S" in a ribbon held by a bird. Made by John Meir & Son or Job Meigh & Son, Staffordshire, England. Height is 5.250 inches.
|Acquisition||Gift of E. Blanche Brown|
|Ownership and History||
This creamer descended in the Brown family of Tottenville, Staten Island. William A. Brown (1829-1907), a ship carpenter, built a house at 128 Johnson Avenue. In the 1900 census he lived there with his son Fernando, an oysterman; daughter-in-law Catherine; and granddaughter Emma Blanche Brown. Emma donated this pitcher to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1940.
Transfer-printed wares were popular with 19th-century American consumers. The technique of transfer printing, which uses copper-plate engraving as a method for decorating earthenware, was developed by potters in England in the mid-18th century. The decorative method meant that detailed pictures could be applied to ceramics, and potters could easily take advantage of popular interests of consumers. American historic and scenic sites, and scenes of the Near and Far East, were among the wide variety of transfer-printed wares used in middle-class American households. "Ornithology" is the name of the transfer-printed pattern on this cream pitcher.
|Maker||John Meir & Son or Job Meigh & Son, Staffordshire, England|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Food Service T&E|
Brown, E. Blanche
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, May 2014.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|