|Object Name||Card, Trade|
|Title||[Louis Marchi & Co. trade card]|
Trade card (business card). Color illustration of two-tiered brick wall with three rows of baskets filled with fruit (or wax fruit); baskets are set on the two tiers of the wall and on the ground. In foreground, a woman's hat and gloves sit on grass. Printed inscription on reverse: "GIBRALTAR 7-0722 / Louis Marchi & Co., Inc. / MANUFACTURERS OF / Wax Artificial Fruit Since 1924 / 366 FRONT STREET / STATEN ISLAND 4, N. Y. / FERDINAND C. MARCHI / VICE PRESIDENT".
(Keywords: Stapleton, New York City)
|Ownership and History||
The firm of Louis Marchi & Co., Inc., manufacturers of decorative wax fruit, was founded in Manhattan in 1925. In 1943 the firm moved their operations to a factory in Stapleton, Staten Island.
The company's founder and president, Louis B. Marchi, was born in Lucca, Italy. He and his wife, Alina, settled on Staten Island after immigrating to the U.S. around 1919. Mr. Marchi, an artist, worked as a sculptor before founding his business. Mrs. Marchi served as president of the company for five years after her husband became ill, and when she retired in 1963, their son, Ferdinand C. Marchi, became president of the company.
Mr. and Mrs. Marchi's other son, John J. Marchi, served from 1956 to 2006 as a New York State Senator.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Advertising Medium|
Marchi, Ferdinand C.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, March 2016.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|