|Object Name||Gown, Wedding|
|Alternate Name||Wedding Dress|
Woman's 2-piece wedding gown with cap and mitts. Made of white embroidered cotton organdy and acetate or polyester satin. Overdress of white embroidered Swiss organdy has bodice with V-neckline and cap sleeves, and a floor length skirt that is gathered to yoke detail at sides and back, with open front to reveal underdress. Satin underdress is strapless and floor length, with side zipper closure. Pair of mitts in matching cotton organdy. Cap of gathered matching organdy with satin ribbon ties and attached veil of nylon tulle (veil is a replacement). Gown was designed and made by the original wearer, Mable Murray Cuthbert MacDonald.
(Keywords: Fashion, Richmond Town, Twentieth Century, Accessory, New York)
|Acquisition||Gift of Mable MacDonald|
|Ownership and History||
Worn by Mable Murray Cuthbert (ca. 1921-2007) on the occasion of her marriage to Angus MacDonald, June 30, 1951, at St. Andrew's Protestant Episcopal Church, Richmond (Richmondtown), Staten Island. The design was intended to give the appearance of the small waist fashionable at the time.
Mrs. MacDonald grew up in Richmond, Staten Island, and graduated from New Dorp High School in 1939. She continued her studies at the Commercial Art Career School and Fashion Academy in Manhattan. Mrs. MacDonald worked for the Staten Island Historical Society from 1969-1989. As Curator of Costumes, she organized a 1985 exhibit, "The Fashionable Bride," which included this gown. Mrs. MacDonald also volunteered with the American Red Cross, served as President of Soroptimist International of Staten Island, and was honored in 1991 as a Staten Island Advance Woman of Achievement.
Clothing & dress
|Lexicon Sub-category||Clothing -- Outerwear|
MacDonald, Mable (Cuthbert)
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|