Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Desk
Date 1790-1820
Description Slant top or fall front desk. Made of mahogany, mahogany veneer, and poplar. Carcass has four graduated drawers and two slant-front supports. Inside the desk behind the slant front are one full and two half-width drawers above four arched pigeonholes on either side of a central locker and plain document boxes. Slightly projecting molded base is supported by bracket feet. Each drawer bottom has an attached printed paper label: "[in circle of flowers] John Dikeman, / Cabinet & Chair Maker, / No. 48 / Corner of Beekman & Gold Streets / New York." Desk measures 44 inches high x 47.250 inches wide x 24.5 inches deep.
(Keywords: New York City)

Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History This desk was owned by a member of the Jones, Prall, or Decker family of Northfield, Staten Island. It was made at John Dikeman's cabinet- and chair-making shop at No. 48 Beekman Street, at the corner of Gold Street, in Manhattan. In the Colonial era and the early years of the republic, Staten Islanders frequently turned to the artisan workshops of Manhattan for status wares and higher styled or finer furnishings than those readily available from local craftsmen.

John Dikeman advertised his shop in the New-York Daily Advertiser on August 2, 1794: "John Dikeman Cabinet and Chair Maker, No. 48 Beekman street Respectfully informs his friends, and the public in general, that he is now ready to supply them with any articles in his way, at a short notice, he has also a handsome assortment of fashionable furniture which he will dispose of on the most reasonable terms."
Earliest Date 1790
Latest Date 1820
Maker John Dikeman, 48 Beekman Street, Manhattan
Subjects Antiques
Furniture
Lexicon Sub-category Furniture
Associated People Decker, Mary Frances (Prall)
Catalog Number 82.081.0002.A-B
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, September 2013.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.