Metal fireman's badge from North Shore Fire Department. Brass-colored badge in a shield shape topped by a spread-wing eagle holding a ribbon with the inscription "N. S. F. D." Shield has a raised design of 5 crossed speaking trumpets with inscription above and below: "CHIEF / ENGINEER / STATEN ISLAND / N.Y." Reverse of badge is stamped "BRAXMAR / N.Y." Badge measures 3.0 x 2.125 inches.
(Keywords: Firefighter, NSFD, New York)
|Acquisition||Gift of William Fink|
|Ownership and History||
This badge belonged to volunteer firefighter William Fink, who was elected Chief Engineer of Staten Island's North Shore Fire Department in 1905. A photo portrait of Mr. Fink, also in the Staten Island Historical Society's collection, appears to show him wearing this badge on his uniform. [See additional items relating to William Fink.]
William Fink was born April 19, 1872 in West New Brighton, Staten Island. He managed a hotel on Castleton Avenue and also served as an Alderman and as Chief of Staten Island's Bureau of Inspection. Prior to his election as Chief Engineer of the North Shore Fire Department, Mr. Fink served with Wyandotte Hook & Ladder Co. No. 5, Medora Hook & Ladder Co. No. 3, and Castleton Fire Patrol Co. No. 1.
|Maker||C.G. Braxmar Co.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Personal Symbol|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2011.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|