Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Hat, Top
Alternate Name Top Hat
Date ca. 1910
Description Man's black silk plush top hat. Cylindrical crown flares slightly at top and bottom; flat top; curved brim with bound edges; black grosgrain ribbon hatband with a bow on one side. Crown has cardboard foundation, and top is lined with cream silk. Brown leather headband has an inscription in gold: "Wm. J. Hampton." Printed mark on the silk lining: "EXTRA QUALITY / JOHN WANAMAKER / At the Sign of / The Best Hat / PHILADELPHIA - NEW YORK / PARIS." A small blue and gold paper sticker for "ROTARY / INTERNATIONAL" is adhered to the lining.
(Keywords: Fashion, Accessory, Silk Beaver, Stove Pipe Hat, New York)
Acquisition Gift of Florence (Mrs. Vernon B.) Hampton
Ownership and History Worn by Dr. William Judson Hampton (d. 1934), father of Vernon B. Hampton. William Hampton pursued his graduate studies at Columbia University, New York University, and Drew Theological Seminary, and was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy diploma in 1909. Before coming to Staten Island he served in several parishes in New Jersey. In 1918 he became pastor of Grace Methodist Episcopal Church in Port Richmond, Staten Island, where he served for 5 years. He later served as pastor of Kingsley Methodist Episcopal Church in Stapleton, Staten Island. He left Staten Island in 1930, when he took charge of Wesley Methodist Church at Phillipsburg, NJ.

Dr. Hampton also authored several publications, including "Dodging the Commandments" (1914) and "Presidential Shrines from Washington to Coolidge" (1928).
Earliest Date 1905
Latest Date 1915
Subjects Clothing & dress
Clergy
Organizations
Lexicon Sub-category Clothing -- Headwear
Associated People Hampton, Dr. William Judson
Catalog Number 85.058.0005
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.