|Alternate Name||American Red Cross Nurse's Aide Uniform|
Woman's uniform, worn by a nurse's aide during World War II. Consists of three parts. A: jumper, pale blue cotton, square neckline, back button closure, calf-length skirt gathered into waistband, 2 square pockets on front; round pin attached to front of jumper has embroidered red cross with inscription around: "AMERICAN RED CROSS / VOLUNTEER"; B: white cotton blend blouse, short sleeves, front button closure, 1 breast pocket; fabric label inside neckline: "HOOVER / MFG. & SALES CO. / NEW YORK / SIZE 38"; C: cap, pale blue cotton with white brim; back folds over and is secured with one button; front brim has an embroidered patch with a red cross in a white triangle and blue circle.
(Keywords: Fashion, Twentieth Century, Pinafore, Accessory, Hat, United States, New York)
|Acquisition||Gift of Margaret Robinson|
|Ownership and History||
Worn from 1940-1945 by Margaret Robinson, who volunteered as a nurse's aide at St. Vincent's Hospital on Staten Island during World War II. Ms. Robinson recalled that the original blouse had to be replaced after it was damaged during laundering. (It had become stained with blood and she soaked it in bleach, not realizing that the bleach would cause the fabric to disintegrate.)
Margaret Robinson (1924-2010) graduated from New Dorp High School, Hunter College (in 1945), and earned a master's degree in 1953 from New York University. She worked for AT&T and volunteered for numerous organizations, including serving on the Board of Directors of the Staten Island Historical Society (Historic Richmond Town). Ms. Robinson was honored as a Staten Island Advance Woman of Achievement in 1972.
Clothing & dress
World War II
|Lexicon Sub-category||Clothing -- Outerwear|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|