|Alternate Name||Riding Hat|
Woman's black felt riding derby. Domed crown with small curved brim. Brim edges are bound. Black grosgrain ribbon hatband with bow on one side. White silk lining with quilted cotton headband. Black elastic chin strap. Printed mark on silk lining: "EXTRA QUALITY / TRADE MARK / Dunlap & Co. / NY / COPYRIGHTED." Dunlap & Co. was a noted hat manufacturer, with a store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan and a factory in Brooklyn, NY.
(Keywords: Fashion, Accessory, Bowler Hat, New York)
|Acquisition||From the Ward Estate|
|Ownership and History||
This hat was acquired as part of a large collection of items from the Ward family of Grymes Hill, Staten Island. Their family residence, known as "Oneata," was located at 636 Serpentine Road (now Howard Avenue); the site where their home was located became part of the Wagner College campus. The home was built in 1865 by William Greene Ward, a military man who served in the Civil War and later rose to the rank of Brigadier-General.
The hat most likely belonged to Maria (Violet) Ward (1863-1941), daughter of William Greene Ward and his wife Emily. Maria and her sister, Caroline (1869-1942), lived at Oneata their entire lives. Maria was an avid bicycle rider; she and her good friend Alice Austen, the noted photographer, belonged to the Staten Island Bicycle Club. In 1896, Maria published the book "Bicycling for Ladies," which provided instructions for women in the proper techniques for riding and maintaining a bicycle. She also belonged to the Staten Island Tennis Club, and in her obituary, Maria was described as "an enthusiastic horsewoman, swimmer and tennis player."
|Maker||Dunlap & Co.|
Clothing & dress
|Lexicon Sub-category||Clothing -- Headwear|
Ward, Maria E.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|