|Object Name||Chest Of Drawers|
William and Mary style high chest of drawers. Maple is the primary wood. The upper section has board sides (solid planks), with two half drawers and three full drawers with metal drop pulls. The backboard is a single piece of pine (rough cut, which is proper for the period) that is nailed on. The molding is nailed to the top on the front and sides. The upper section rests on the lower section, which consists of a rectangular frame with one drawer, and five scroll-shaped legs with ball feet, connected by curved stretchers. The drawers have large dovetails on the sides, with pine board bottoms nailed on. Attributed by the previous owner (in the 1930s) to Edmund Titcomb (1682-1723) of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Measures 53.750 inches high x 41 inches wide x 25.375 inches deep.
(Keywords: Colonial, Highboy)
|Ownership and History||
This high chest of drawers was exhibited at the Staten Island Historical Society in 1937. Its owner was Walter L. Bush, an antique dealer who lived in Newark, New Jersey. The Historical Society later purchased the high chest from his widow, Barbara Bush.
According to a 1937 newspaper article describing the exhibition, Mr. Bush had purchased the high chest from Mrs. Herbert E. Noyes of Newburyport, Massachusetts, who "said in a notarized statement that it had descended to her from her mother and had also been the possession of her grandmother, 'having belonged in my family as long as there is any present memory of the piece.'"
This high chest bears a remarkable similarity to a signed Edmund Titcomb high chest at Historic New England, which suggests that the earlier attribution is correct.
|Maker||attributed to Edmund Titcomb, Newburyport, MA|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, October 2013.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|