|Object Name||Nozzle, Fire Hose|
Brass fire hose nozzle marked "A.H.& L." (for Amicitia Hook & Ladder). Nozzle has an adjustable valve for regulating the flow of water.
(Keywords: Firefighting Equipment, Firefighter, New York)
|Acquisition||Gift of Mrs. George L. Slaight, Jr.|
|Ownership and History||
This hose nozzle was used by the Amicitia Hook & Ladder Company No. 1 of Pleasant Plains, Staten Island, which was in existence from about 1900 to 1937. It was given to the Staten Island Historical Society by Mrs. George L. Slaight, Jr. in 1962.
Fire hoses came into widespread use during the 1800s, offering obvious advantages over buckets as firefighting equipment became more advanced. By the 1870s, rubber and cotton hoses became available as alternatives to the earlier leather examples. Proper care of fire hoses was described in a 1906 article in The Veteran Fireman, a Staten Island publication for volunteer firefighters.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Regulative & Protective T&E|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2011.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|