Firefighting company presentation shield of painted leather with firefighting motifs, enclosed in a display case of glass and wood. Inscribed, "AMERICUS / 2 / OF BAYONNE NJ / TO WASHINGTON CO. / 1 / OF PORT RICHMOND SI."
(Keywords: Firefighter, Commemorative, New York)
|Ownership and History||
A shield like this was typically a gift from one volunteer fire company to another, and might commemorate a friendly social gathering that brought the two companies together. Washington Engine Company No. 1 of Port Richmond, Staten Island was organized in 1853 and disbanded in 1905.
Bayonne, New Jersey, just across the Kill Van Kull from Staten Island, was incorporated as a city in 1869. One of Bayonne's early firehouses was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and preserved as the Chief John T. Brennan Fire Museum.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Ceremonial Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2011.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|