Oil on canvas, framed. View of Tompkinsville and the Narrows from Fort Hill, Staten Island. Artist unknown. Landscape and water view, with buildings along the waterfront, a large building with columns at right, and a circular drive in the foreground. There are several sailing ships in the water.
(Keywords: Staaten Island, Staten Island, New York)
|Acquisition||Museum Purchase with gift in memory of Ellsworth Buck|
|Ownership and History||
The artist who painted this picture probably based it on a published print; multiple prints of the view can be found in the Staten Island Historical Society's collection.
The area pictured is Fort Hill, Staten Island, which was then considered part of New Brighton and is now considered part of St. George. The house featured on the right is the home of John Westervelt, who was chief physician of the Quarantine. On the left in the distance is the St. Nicholas Hospital at the Quarantine. In the far right the Pavilion Hotel is barely visible through the trees, with its flag flying. Each of those buildings has since been demolished.
See the book "Staten Island Scenery: Paintings, Prints, Drawings and Photographs, 1679-1900" by Barnett Shepherd for more information.
Westervelt, Dr. John S.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Staten Island Foundation, December 2013.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|