|Title||[Real estate listing, 672 Richmond Road]|
Printed page with a real estate listing for the house at 672 Richmond Road in Richmond, Staten Island. The page has a photomechanical reproduction of a photograph of the house, with printed information at right. Photo is a diagonal view of the front (facing Richmond Road) and side of the house. The house has a porch with four columns; two other structures are partly visible at far left. Printed inscription at right: "File No. 138 / No. 25 / LOCATION: 672 Richmond Road. / 2 1/2 story frame dwelling. / Size of plot 125' x 220' (fronting on three sts.) / First Floor: Contains three rooms, kitchen and / pantry. / Second Floor: Four bedrooms and bath. / Third floor: Two rooms. / Hot water heat. / PRICE $12,000." The page has 2 circular holes at the left edge; it was possibly once included in a binder or notebook. Handwritten inscription on reverse: "D.L. Stevens [sic] / Richmond Rd / and Garretson St. / Richmond"
(Keyword: HRT, New York City, Twentieth Century)
|Ownership and History||
This building, known as the Stephens-Prier House, still stands as part of Historic Richmond Town. The house was built ca. 1857-1859 by Daniel Lake Stephens, who resided there until his death in 1866. The house was subsequently occupied by several other members of the Stephens family. The best- known of these was Judge Stephen D. Stephens Jr. (1845-1911), a successful lawyer who served as Richmond County Judge and Surrogate for thirty years, as well as serving two terms in the New York State Assembly.
In 1886 the house was purchased by James E. Prier, a butcher who had a shop in Richmond where he sold meats and vegetables. James and his wife Ellen J. (LaForge) Prier had six children, and the family lived in the house until 1926.
Later owners of the house included Francis Evans, who served on the local school board. In 1991 the house was purchased by the City of New York to become part of Historic Richmond Town.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Written Communication T&E|
Stephens, Daniel Lake
Stephens, Stephen Dover, Jr.
Prier, James E.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|