Chinese export porcelain teapot; cylindrical shape with sloping shoulder, straight spout. Handle is formed from intertwined straps and has applied flower terminals. Lid is disk shaped and has a lichee nut finial. Teapot is mainly white, decorated in red, green and gold with a sprig of grapes and grape leaves painted on each side and vine and grape borders around the shoulder and lid. Rim is edged with a pattern in gold and brown on an apricot band. Made in China. Part of tea service (catalog numbers F07.1657-F07.1660), which also includes a sugar bowl, cream pitcher, and cup. Teapot measures 5.75 inches high.
|Acquisition||Gift in memory of Cornelia Heal Dakin Horn (Mrs. Harry M. Horn)|
|Ownership and History||
Although the principal Chinese export to Western markets was tea, porcelain ran an important second place. Chinese porcelains were first introduced to Europe in the 14th century. By the 16th century, Chinese potters began producing objects specifically for export to the West. Trade between China and the U.S. officially began soon after American independence in the late 18th century. By the late 19th century, Chinese export porcelains like this teapot were valued as antiques of colonial and early America.
Porcelain is white and translucent. It differs from other types of ceramics in that it is extremely hard and dense after being fired at very high temperatures.
This teapot is part of a set that belonged to Cornelia Heal (Dakin) Horn (1888-1963) of Staten Island. It is not known whether it was a family heirloom or acquired by her as an antique.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Food Service T&E|
Horn, Cornelia (Dakin)
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, November 2014.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|