|Object Name||Handbill, Trade|
Handbill. Rectangular yellow paper with black printed engraving and inscription on both sides (the same on both sides). Engraved illustration of a factory with smokestacks; printed: "NEW YORK / Fire Brick Manufactory, / AND / STATEN ISLAND FIRE BRICK / AND / CLAY RETORT WORKS / B. KREISCHER & SON, Proprietors / ESTABLISHED, 1845. / OFFICE FOR BOTH WORKS, / No. 58 Goerck Street, Corner of Delancey, NEW YORK / Fire-Brick of all shapes and sizes / Gashouse and Greenhouse Tiles; Gashouse and Sugarhouse Clay / Retorts; Assay Furnaces; Muffles Bakers' Oven Tiles; Blocks and Slabs of all sizes; Grate / Fixtures and Stove Linings; superior Fire-clay; Kaolin and Fire-sand by Barrel, / Ton or Cargo, from our own beds; superior Cupola and Bosh Brick, for / the Mackenzie patent Blast Furnaces and others. / WHOLESALE AND RETAIL. / The South Ferry, East Broadway and 42nd Street Cars bring passengers in front of our Works."
(Keywords: New York City)
|Ownership and History||
The illustration on this handbill shows the Manhattan location of Kreischer's brick works.
The New York Fire Brick Manufactory of B. Kreischer & Co. was established by Balthazar Kreischer in 1845. The business was first located in Lower Manhattan; in 1855 a second factory opened on the west shore of Staten Island. Kreischer and his two sons expanded the Staten Island brick works in the 1870s and closed the Manhattan works.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Advertising Medium|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2015.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|