|Object Name||Wagon, Delivery|
Milk delivery wagon, designed to be pulled by horses. Wagon has four wheels (smaller in front and larger in back) and a paneled enclosed body with a door on each side, painted white with inscriptions painted in blue with yellow, red, and gray accents; on front: "WEISSGLASS / MILK"; on side: "J. WEISSGLASS / & / SONS / DAIRY / EST. 1899 / Tel. Conn 442-6600 / GRADE A / MILK / CREAM / BUTTER / EGGS".
(Keywords: New York, Carriage Collection, Vehicle Inventory)
|Acquisition||Gift of Weissglass Gold Seal Dairy Corporation|
|Ownership and History||
Julius Weissglass (1873-1946) immigrated to New York from Austria in the late 1880s. By 1899 he purchased a farm on Watchogue Road, Staten Island, selling milk and eggs. The business grew under the management of his sons, with a large milk processing and bottling plant established in Mariners Harbor in the 1930s.
In addition to their significant role in Staten Island's business community, members of the Weissglass family have served a variety of groups and organizations, including the Jewish Community Center and the Staten Island Foundation. The name is also remembered by racing enthusiasts and sports fans for the Weissglass Speedway and stadium which was located in Port Richmond from the 1950s to the 1970s.
This vehicle, which is part of the exhibition "Made On Staten Island" at Historic Richmond Town, was repainted for use in parades in the twentieth century, which accounts for the numerical seven-digit phone number which appears in the inscriptions that are hand-lettered on the wagon's body.
|Subjects||Dairy products industry|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Land Transportation -- Animal-powered|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, March 2014.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|