Metal urn-shaped loving cup with two handles, on a circular black plastic base. Cup is engraved: "21ST BATTALION N.Y.F.D. / F.D.A.C. TEAM / BEST PERFORMANCE / FIRE FIGHTING / WON BY / ENG. 153 - H & L 77 1944"; metal plate on base is engraved: "CAPT. G. HEINEMAN / LT. R. GUNTHER / LT. W. TURNER / O. ANDICH / J. FAIR / F. WOLFF / J. HOLDER / M. CIARDIELLO / C. CAFARO / H. GELGISSER"; underneath base is mark of Dieges & Clust, Trophies, est. 1898, located at 17 John Street, N.Y. The overall height of the trophy is 14.5 inches.
(Keywords: Firefighter, Commemorative, FDNY, New York City Fire Department)
|Acquisition||Gift of Mr. W. Turner|
|Ownership and History||
The 21st Battalion of the Fire Department of New York continues to serve the northeast section of Staten Island. This award for fire fighting was won by Engine Company 153 and Hook & Ladder Company 77 at a competition held in 1944. The companies' fire station is on Broad Street in Stapleton.
The New York firm of Dieges & Clust was well known for the design and manufacture of the Heisman Trophy, Olympic medals, and other notable awards. The worn and scratched appearance of this World-War-II-era trophy seems to result from the lesser quality of its materials--possibly due to simple budgetary issues, or perhaps evidence that manufacturing materials had been diverted to the war effort.
The trophy was presented to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1969 by W. Turner, whose name is among those inscribed on the base.
|Maker||Dieges & Clust|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Personal Symbol|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2011.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|