Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Painting
Artist Cropsey, Jasper Francis
Date 1843
Title [Cortelyou Farm]
Description Framed painting, oil on canvas, painted by Jasper Cropsey. View of the 80-acre farmstead in Greenridge owned by Lawrence H. Cortelyou, a relative of the artist. Scene includes a farmhouse and outbuildings.
(Keywords: New York, HRT)
Acquisition Gift of David H. Cortelyou, Jr.
Ownership and History Artist Jasper Cropsey was born on a farm near Rossville, Staten Island. He is today best remembered as a noted painter and member of the Hudson River School, with works in many museum collections. He also worked as an architect; he designed the Moravian Church building at New Dorp, Staten Island.

The Cortelyou property depicted in the painting was located along Arthur Kill Road in the valley along the Fresh Kills approximately one mile west of the village of Richmond (visible in the the distance). The property remained in the Cortelyou family until the turn of the 20th century, when it was purchased by a real estate firm for prospective subdivision and development. The site is today occupied by a shopping center.

This painting is one of the earliest surviving works by Cropsey. The fidelity with which the town of Richmond is depicted in the distance is evidence of the artist's close attention to detail. The painting was donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1970 by David H. Cortelyou, a descendent of the family whose farm is represented.

See the book "Staten Island Scenery: Paintings, Prints, Drawings and Photographs, 1679-1900" by Barnett Shepherd for more information.
Earliest Date 1843
Latest Date 1843
Subjects Landscape paintings
Farms
Lexicon Sub-category Art
Catalog Number P01.0122
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, October 2013.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.