Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Card, Trade
Date 1880-1881
Description Trade card. Chromolithograph on paper. Upper portion has a black background with pink and red flowers and green leaves. The lower portion is cream, with printed inscription: "Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! / BENEDICT BROTHERS, / Importers and Manufacturers of / WATCHES, DIAMONDS, JEWELRY & SILVERWARE. / DIAMONDS A SPECIALTY. / STORE AT 171 BROADWAY ONLY, / Benedict Building. New York. Cor. Cortlandt St." In small print at bottom right: "Copyright 1878 by L. Prang & Co. Boston, U.S.A." Printed on the reverse is a Staten Island ferry schedule, titled "NORTH SHORE STATEN ISLAND. / Leaves NEW YORK, Whitehall St., foot Br'dway, on and after Dec. 5, 1880"; a second schedule is titled "SUNDAY TIME." Printed at bottom: "Boats run by BENEDICT'S Time, 171 Broadway."
(Keywords: New York City)
Acquisition Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society
Ownership and History This advertising card documents the locations of ferry landings on Staten Island prior to establishment of the ferry terminal at St. George in 1886. As noted on the schedule, ferries stopped at Elm Park, Port Richmond, West Brighton, Snug Harbor, and New Brighton. The card was probably distributed during the December holiday season for the convenience of shoppers traveling from Staten Island to Manhattan.

Benedict Brothers jewelry store in Manhattan was founded in 1819 by Samuel Ward Benedict and remained under family ownership for several generations. Members of the Benedict family lived on Staten Island and commuted to work at their store in Manhattan.

Earliest Date 1880.0
Latest Date 1881.0
Maker L. Prang & Co.
Material Paper
Subjects Advertising
Trade cards
Stores & shops
Jewelry stores
Ferries
Ephemera
Holidays
Lexicon Sub-category Advertising Medium
Associated People Benedict, Samuel Ward (Ist)
Catalog Number X12.0020
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2015.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.