Firefighting company presentation shield of painted leather, white with gold trim, red and blue inserts, and raised lettering which reads, "FROM / CATARACT / 2 / ENGINE / TO / MEDORA / 3 / OF WEST NEW BRIGHTON SI." The surrounding decoration includes a star at the top and leafy vines outlined in stitched thread and filled with gold. A metal wire, attached at the edges, is stretched across the back. The shield measures 18.25 inches in height.
(Keywords: Firefighter, Commemorative, NSFD, New York)
|Ownership and History||
Medora Hook & Ladder Company No. 3 and Cataract Engine Company No. 2 were both companies of the North Shore Fire Department, which served communities of Staten Island from 1874 to 1905.
Neighboring volunteer companies, although sometimes engaging in rivalry, often socialized together. A shield like this might be presented as a goodwill gesture, to thank another company for hosting a parade or social gathering, or in appreciation for special assistance.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Ceremonial Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2011.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|