Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Dress
Date ca. 1825-1835
Description Infant's dress of ivory cotton. Bodice has a high waist and a square neckline with floral embroidery near the neck. Short puffy sleeves with caps and embroidered trim. Back closure with ties at the neck and 2 buttons. Front of dress has a long inverted V of openwork circles with net centers and lines of tiny circles between the rows. Long skirt is gathered into the embroidered waistband in the back. Skirt has deep plain hem with floral embroidered openwork above. This is considered a fashionable dress that echoes the adult dress styles of its time, with a unique design layout.
(Keywords: Infant, Children's Clothing, Fashion)
Acquisition Gift of Anna M. King
Ownership and History The donor of this dress, Miss Anna M. King, was the daughter of Captain Adolf L. King, a seaman with the Old Dominion Line, and Anna M. (Whitney) King. The family resided in the Arrochar section of Staten Island.

Miss King related the provenance of this infant's dress in a letter to the Historical Society in 1949. She recalled that it was made in France and brought to this country by the Piffard family of western New York State. It passed from the Piffard family to the family of Senator Wadsworth (probably referring to Senator James W. Wadsworth Jr., U.S. Senator from New York, 1915-1927). The dress then passed to Anna King's grandmother, who used it for her daughter (Anna King's mother).
Earliest Date 1825
Latest Date 1835
Subjects Clothing & dress
Children
Embroidery
Lexicon Sub-category Clothing -- Outerwear
Associated People King, Anna M.
Catalog Number C01.1650
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.