Pair of woman's pink satin pumps, low cut, with pointed toe, 2-inch heel, and white satin bow with white beaded center on vamp. Label inside: "A.J. CAMMEYER / 6TH AVE. COR. 20TH ST. N.Y."; mark stamped on sole: "CAMMEYER." The underside of the sole has inscription "Austen" handwritten in pencil.
(Keywords: Fashion, Accessory, New York)
|Acquisition||From Alice Austen|
|Ownership and History||
These shoes were donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1945 by photographer Alice Austen (1866-1952).
As the label indicates, they were purchased from Alfred J. Cammeyer's massive shoe store on 6th Avenue and 20th Street in Manhattan. Cammeyer relocated in 1893 from a shop at 12th Street, becoming "probably the largest and best equipped boot and shoe establishment in this country, if not in the world," according to a New York Times article of September 29, 1893.
Clothing & dress
|Lexicon Sub-category||Clothing -- Footwear|
Austen, E. Alice
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, July 2013.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|