|Artist||Miller, William Rickarby|
|Title||Summer Residence of J.F.D. Lanier Esq.|
Color lithograph (printed in at least two colors) with additional hand coloring, mounted on mat board. View of a large Italianate style house at right; an American flag flies from a turret of the house. The house is in a rural setting of trees and open fields. A road runs across the length of the print in the foreground, with fences along both sides; two men stand on the road. At the left side of the print, the road intersects another road; there are horse-drawn carriages on both roads. A man, woman, child, and a dog are on the other side of the fence, walking on the path leading to the house. A few other houses are visible at left and in the middle distance; in the distance at left is the waterfront, with steamboats and sailing ships. Printed caption below the image: "SUMMER RESIDENCE OF J.F.D. LANIER ESQ. / at Clifton on the South Side of Staten Island." Inscription in small print just below the image: at left, "W.R. Miller, pinxt."; and at right, "Nathan Lane & Co. 69 Wall St. N.Y." Partial handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse of mount: "[---]l [B or &] Smith / Beaver St."
(Keywords: New York)
|Ownership and History||James F.D. Lanier (1800-1881) was a financier whose banking firm, Winslow Lanier & Co., specialized in trading railroad securities. This view shows his Staten Island property facing South Beach and the Lower Bay. The street that runs horizontally across the image was probably Tompkins Avenue (now called Sand Lane), and the street it intersects at left was Richmond Avenue (now called McClean Avenue).|
|Maker||Nathan Lane & Co.|
Lanier, James F.D.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Staten Island Foundation, December 2013.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|