Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Trophy
Date 1909
Description Silver-plated loving cup with ear-shaped handles, engraved " FIRST PRIZE / WON BY / NEW DORP HOOK AND LADDER CO NO I / FOR / GENERAL APPEARANCE AND BEST EQUIPPED / VOLUNTEER HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY / BOROUGH OF RICHMOND;" on opposite side: " GREAT INTERBORO FAIR / SEPTEMBER 4TH 1909 "; inscribed on base bottom " 6 1/4 / VICTOR SILVER CO. / 497. " Decoration on and around handles includes palmettes, grapes, and tendrils. The Victor Silver Company of Shelton, Connecticut was a division of the Derby Silver Company, which merged with the International Silver Company in 1898.
(Keywords: Firefighter, Commemorative, New York City)
Acquisition Gift of Mrs. Frances Schretlen
Ownership and History New Dorp Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 was organized 1894 and disbanded in 1915. In 1909, when the company won this trophy at the Great Interboro Fair, many nearby volunteer fire companies had already disbanded due to the expansion of the city's professional fire department. Veteran volunteers, however, maintained a strong presence on Staten Island for decades into the 20th century. This trophy was donated to the Staten Island Historical Society by the family of John P. Purcell of Staten Island.

An issue of The Veteran Fireman from November 1, 1915 reported, "The New Dorp Hook & Ladder Company has been mustered out of service on October 1st, when apparatus and horses were taken over by the city. No fire department company will be maintained at New Dorp, but a new company with motor driven apparatus has been installed at Concord."
Earliest Date 1909
Latest Date 1909
Maker Victor Silver Co.
Material Silverplate
Subjects Fire fighters
Fire fighting
Lexicon Sub-category Personal Symbol
Catalog Number F10.0206
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2011.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.