Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Hat
Alternate Name Boater
Date ca. 1880-1920
Description Man's natural straw boater. Ovoid crown with flat top and flat brim. Black grosgrain ribbon hatband with bow on wearer's left side. Brown leather headband has printed mark: "NACIREMA / PAT. & REG. U.S. PAT. OFFICE / AIR CUSHION SWEAT." Crown is lined with silk which has a printed mark: "Egbert / Mens Goods Shop / TOMPKINSVILLE S.I." George Livingston Egbert (1862-1957), a prominent Staten Islander, opened his store in Tompkinsville in 1879, selling men's clothing. The store remained in business through 1961.
(Keywords: Fashion, Accessory, New York)
Acquisition Gift of the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences
Ownership and History This hat belonged to William T. Davis (1862-1945), a lifelong Staten Island resident. Mr. Davis was an entomologist; his obituary stated that "he was considered the world's foremost authority on locusts." He was also very active in local history. He authored several books, including "Days Afield on Staten Island" (1892) and "Staten Island Names, Ye Olde Names and Nicknames" (1896), and he was co-author of the five-volume "Staten Island and Its People" with Charles Leng (1929-1930). Mr. Davis was one of the founders of the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences, becoming vice-president of the organization in 1904 and president in 1930. He was also a member of the Staten Island Antiquarian Society, formed in 1915, and when it merged with the Staten Island Historical Society in 1922 he became the first president of the new organization, serving until 1938.
Earliest Date 1879
Latest Date 1940
Subjects Clothing & dress
Lexicon Sub-category Clothing -- Headwear
Associated People Davis, William T.
Egbert, George Livingston
Catalog Number C01.2922
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.