|Alternate Name||Party Hat|
Man's hat. Jester style, made of white, green, red, and yellow satin trimmed with metallic braid, bells, and sequins. Lined with white cotton or linen.
(Keywords: Accessory, Late Victorian, Early Twentieth Century, New York)
|Acquisition||Gift of Dr. Henry G. Steinmeyer|
|Ownership and History||
This hat is associated with the Staten Island Quartett Club. The club was established in 1861 by members of Staten Island's German community, which was concentrated in the Stapleton area. They held numerous social events, including musical performances and an annual Masquerade Ball. The Quartett Club enjoyed a long history, and celebrated both a fiftieth and a seventy-fifth anniversary. It dissolved in 1954, just 7 years shy of its one hundredth anniversary.
This hat was given to the Staten Island Historical Society by Dr. Henry G. Steinmeyer (1886-1980). From the 1940s to the 1960s, Dr. Steinmeyer and his wife Ellinor lived in Richmond, Staten Island, in the house that became known as the Parsonage at Historic Richmond Town. Dr. Steinmeyer was a historian as well as a dentist. He wrote numerous articles as well as a book, "Staten Island, 1524-1898," which was published in 1950. He served as editor of "The Staten Island Historian" from 1955 to 1969.
Clothing & dress
|Lexicon Sub-category||Clothing -- Outerwear|
Steinmeyer, Dr. Henry G.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|